French and Spanish are the two core languages taught at Royal Russell from Year 7 onwards and German is taught in Year 9 for the newcomers’ set as well as pupils who have never studied Spanish. All three languages are studied at GCSE and A level.
The teaching is largely communicative, aiming at both enjoyment and a high degree of oral and written competence. All pupils are required to take at least one Modern Language to GCSE level, but good linguists keep both. Pupils who are extremely advanced in the language have the opportunity to take the examination early and one-to-one sessions take place with the language assistants.
By the end of Year 9, most pupils have been studying French, Spanish and German (for some) for three or more years. All current Year 9 pupils will be required to take at least one Modern Foreign Language to IGCSE level from French, Spanish and German or a combination of the three. The more languages a pupil is able to speak, the more prepared they are for their future prosperity and global standing.
However, the choice must be based on existing performance and a realistic view of future potential, a decision best reached in close consultation with the French, Spanish and German teachers concerned. All pupils in Year 9 will be assessed in three skills. This should give pupils a strong indication regarding their ability and an opportunity to compare their language skills.
Please click here to find out more about our IGCSE option.
In an increasingly globalised world, the ability to demonstrate competence in a foreign language is a valuable asset. The Department offers French, Spanish and German at A level.
Many degree courses across a spectrum of subjects may include one or more foreign languages. Some universities will even request a language GCSE as an entrance requirement (eg UCL).
Please click here to find out more about our A level course.
Trips and Activities
- French and Spanish plays to Years 7 to 10
- Day trip to Boulogne for Year 7 pupils
- Year 7 residential trip to Paris, France
- Year 8 residential trip to Bilbao, Spain
- Spanish Exchange for Years 8 and 10 with a school in Zaragoza, Spain
- Year 9 to 11 French Exchange to Orléans, Cours St Charles School
- Sixth Form French Exchange to Orléans
- One-to-one sessions with French or Spanish assistants for A level and early GCSE
- Twenty-four station multimedia digital language laboratory
- Subscription to current affairs magazines in multiple languages in the Library
- Small classes and ability sets
- Early GCSE possible and offered
- Early A level for high achievers
- IGCSE French and Spanish for all pupils
- Mandarin lessons available after school